Before you begin, make plans to carry with you any medications, valuables, or flammable, unsafe, perishable, or irreplaceable items. A change of clothing, toiletries, moving-related documents, keys and maps would be other things to set aside. Other items that you may want to carry with you include your address book, phone to plug into at your new home, a hammer, screwdriver, pliers, adjustable wrench, duct tape, masking tape and a knife. A towel, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, sponges and cleaning supplies may also come in handy at your new home.
Pack least used items in advance and try to keep items from the same room together. Remember too that lots of people move on the first of the month and on weekends, so make reservations for your mover or truck well in advance. Keep all of your boxes manageable with heavy items in smaller boxes and lighter items in bigger boxes. Clearly mark each box for the room it is going to so that on arrival, everything will be easier to identify. Donate items or have a yard sale to reduce what you will need to pack and move.
Packing Supplies & Setting Up A Packing Area
You will probably need twice as many boxes (or more) than you originally planned
- Bubble wrap and newspaper for wrapping things
- Pens and markers
- Tape measure
- Packing tape and scissors
- Twine or rope
- Furniture pads or old sheets and blankets
- Box cutter/knife
A few hints to help with the moving experience.
- Many people move on the first of the month and on weekends so be sure to make arrangements for movers or truck rentals a couple months in advance.
- The closer you get to moving day the more hectic things may become.
- Plan ahead and do some of the things early, like sending change of address notes to friends, family, etc. Other things you can do early include.
- Decide what you will not move and have a yard sale or donate the items. Clean out the closets, garage, attic and basement. Make a packing plan.
- Have any needed service to your vehicle done.
- Arrange for insurance and utilities for your new home.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, school and other records.
- Plan transportation and care for any pets.
- Set up your “packing station” and begin putting things there to get ready.
- Set aside an area to put important documents and other items you will be keeping with you on moving day. As you come across an item, put it in that area. Also, keep a pad of paper and pen there and list items you want to carry with you and check them off as you locate and set them aside.